Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for commenting last week and telling me your age and lifestyle. This helps me so much in knowing how best to write for you as I desire to bring you relevant information each week. I heard from many of you that you don't get a notice about the blog until one week after it's posted so we are checking into that, thank you for letting me know about that.

I'm heading out to speak on the Girls Getaway Cruise with Premier Christian Cruiselines. Lysa Terkeurst, Chonda Pierce, Angela Thomas and others will be some of the speakers. I wish you were coming along!

My newsletter is going out tomorrow (Thursday) and I've listed 7 of the essential items for Spring. One of the items I mention is the fitted blazer and that's what I want to talk about this week.


A blazer can be worn by any body type and that's one of the reasons I love it. It also can be worn with a classic pair of trousers or a trendy pair of jeans. Wear it over a blouse or your favorite t-shirt. Wear it with a skirt or over a dress.

This is one wardrobe basic that when purchased correctly, you will have for years.

So what is "purchased correctly"? For one, make sure it's in a color that is one of your neutrals (black, brown, camel, navy, gray or even white) OR in a POP color that helps you make an entrance!

Second, make sure it's a good fit. Get it altered if the sleeves are too long or if the shoulders hang off your shoulders. When fitted properly to your body (you may even need it taken in at the sides), then I promise this wardrobe piece will be a go-to item you'll wear again and again.

Third, if you are a b body shape, then get one that covers your belly. Don't opt for a shorter style like the pic above.


O body shapes should buy a blazer that is single breasted (not double) and one that hangs no more than 3 inches apart when not buttoned.

d body shapes can wear the shorter style, and one fitted at the waist to show off that curvy figure of yours.


Walmart (The above jacket is only $18!)


X types can wear just about any style just be aware of your challenge areas.



The best length for a jacket or blazer for anyone (unless you're going for the shorter style) is that the bottom of the jacket should hit right at your finger tips or if you cup your finger tips under the bottom would fit in your hand.

Blazers are a big item for Spring so take your time looking for one and get one when you see it while the stores have the best selections.

I pray you have a beautiful week!

See you next week,

Shari

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE blazers. I have 4 of them and wear them anytime I want to look "put-together"! I've picked them all up at the thrift store and since they have classic styling, I know I'll be able to wear them for years. Thanks for the great article.

Colleen Reske said...

Just got your newsletter and I am writing to say so sorry about your sister Kathi! Poor girl! I am praying for her to heal well and for you all to accept that she couldn't make the cruise with you. Hope all goes well (now!)

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Going out today to find be a "B" jacket. Thanks!

Daphne said...

Great advice! I think I'll check the thrift stores first...sometimes you get lucky and find the PERFECT thing for under $10 :-)

Dolores Stone said...

Oh I see a blazer in my future. Now that I know what color would look best on me, it will make my shopping much easier. I so enjoyed the Girl's Getaway Cruise and attending your What Not to Wear and Color Analysis. I'm armed and ready with my swatches and my Good Girls don't have to Dress Bad book~I see shopping in the very near future. Thanks Shari!!

Tabitha said...

Oooo, great tips! I have a new consignment store that I adore--can hardly wait to scour it for a new blazer! I love how versatile they are--like the jean jacket! I figure I'll shoot for a black one and a really fun POP color. Cool! Thanks for the advice!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blazer shopping!!
I wish one of you girls could go shopping with me today! haha
But off I shall go on the hunt...

I am with proudgrits11 -
black and pop sound like a good idea!

Diana C.