Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What to Wear Wednesday: An Overhaul

Happy New Year fashionistas!

Can you EVEN believe it's 2011 already? Gracious my!

A couple announcements before we start into today's topic. After considering all the info you gave me a few weeks ago on WHEN it would be best to answer your fashion and beauty questions I finally have an answer....drumroll.....

FYI Friday!!!!!!!
Yep, you heard it right! EVERY Friday will be
question and answer day right here on the fashion blog. Some days will have 4- 5 questions and answers and others might have only one or two, but I believe I can keep up with them this way and will give you the answers you're looking for on a more timely basis!
Are you excited about that? Me too!!!!

Also, tomorrow is my 2011 Planning/Brainstorming Day with 12 women who are very near and dear to me. These women know me pretty darn well and some are super prayer warriors while others are super best friends. Some shoot VERY straight with me and tell me like it is (whether I want to hear it or not) and others are wonderful listeners. Some have been in women's ministry leadership while others are the do-ers in women's ministry. Most are moms while a few aren't. Whatever the case may be for each, I LOVE them so much and am so grateful they will be spending the day with me to help me look ahead to this new year. What some of you know and some of you do not know, is that I parted ways with Proverbs 31 Ministry in November. It was on VERY good terms but I knew that God was calling me away. Lysa and I had a good sit-down and with lots of prayer, the decision was made for me to go out on my own. I know this is a shock to some but I have had not one moment of regret. I'm still wonderful friends with the girls of P31 but I'm excited about what lays ahead for me and so the reason for the brainstorming session tomorrow. I would COVET YOUR PRAYERS as we let the ideas fly tomorrow! And if you have any ideas whether it be for the ministry side of things, the conferences or the bootcamps, webinars, etc. today would be the day to comment about that so we can bring it to the table. I just wanted you all to know what was going on because I consider you pretty close to me...seriously, almost like family. In fact, when I think about my blog readers, I talk about you at home like you're PART of my family....even saying your names (for those that comment cause that's how I know your names!) I'll be like, well, Carol and Mariah think this...or Brenda and Libbi said this....or Sue, Daphne and Mary thought that...lol!


And so now, let's get into our beauty topic for the day. And that's exactly it...
beauty topic.

You see, I got so sick over the holidays that I didn't really care what I looked like. You know, when all you want to wear is sweats (yes, I have them) and not wash your hair.

So then, I got better, right? And I felt all crummy. My eyebrows needed plucked and waxed, my chin, well, that's another subject because let's just say that I could deal with one or two stray hairs, but a beard? Ah, NO. Okay, it wasn't a beard but it felt like it.
And then I looked down at my toes and the polish was all scraped off, my nails were hideous and I just overall felt icky.
Now, for those of you who think, "Well, how nice for her that she can go get her nails and toes done, la-di-da,"  I am NOT one who EVER gets her nails done but because I simply don't have the patience (or the extra income). I'd rather do them myself on the run (like in the car). And I'll get a pedicure about 2 times a year. That's it. Again, no patience. But I DO get my eyebrows and chin waxed about once a month or so.

But then I thought about while I'd let myself go on the outside, what had I let go on the inside? Was my spiritual beauty intact? Ah, not so much. I hadn't read my bible, done my daily devotionals or anything while I was sick. Now THAT'S sick.

There is SUCH a correlation between our outside and and our inside. I don't care who you are, but if you're outside is messed up, then I'll bet it's a reflection of what's going on in the INSIDE of you. And vice versa, as in my case.

So, what about you?
As for me, I DID go get my nails done, and my toes, and my eyebrows and my chin.
 And I DID pull out my bible and my daily devotionals. And my prayer life came to LIFE again. And my outer beauty came to LIFE again.
No one, no one, no one can ever tell me the two don't have a connection.

Because they do.

I love you girls! Happy Beauty New Year to You!
Love,
Shari

20 comments:

Libby said...

Glad you're feeling better!

Mariah said...

I totally agree that the 2 have a correlation. I'm so glad you wrote on that. So many times we want to beautify the outside to gain some kind of peace or pleasure on the inside, but that's a false peace. I love that Christ can give us a true peace and we can happily dress cute for Him and SHINE beautifully His light! :D There is nothing more beautiful in my mind, than a woman who is sweet and willing to serve others.

Mariah said...

oops, forgot to say I'm excited about FYI Fridays and it would be fun to see some more pictures and posts on the beauty boot camps and conferences you do. I'd love to see pictures of women given their correct coloring. Or ideas of cute and up-to-date fashion looks. I think someone commented that they needed help with shoes. Maybe it would be beneficial to talk about some of the new trends and how to wear them. I think we all loved the 'boots' posts and how to wear them! :) i don't know if that helps...also I'd be willing to e-mail you a couple pictures of new outfits I put together for each new season, for a petite body type, for any inspiration for others like me. :)

Elizabeth said...

Glad you're feeling better Shari!!!!! Happy new year to you as well. Many blessing for you in the coming year! You're AMAZING!

Jolene said...

Happy New Year everyone! I am about three chapters into Good Girls Don't Have to Dress Bad and am loving it! I am excited to go shopping with a purpose and am contemplating taking my hair to a more natural shade after seeing some of the posts here on Monday Makeovers.

Shari - I love the idea of the Beauty Boot Camp. Unfortunately it is way out of my budget right now - especially considering travel from Michigan. Would there be a way to offer some of the same services or advice in a more affordable format and to reach a broader audience. Perhaps more regional weekend events? Or maybe something by video or phone conference? I agree that more pictures of outfits for each style and body type are always helpful. Perhaps you could feature one at a time. Keep up the great work! Love your book, love your blog, love how you weave in a love for Jesus into everything you do Shari!

Brenda and Jason said...

You're so bluntly honest and real! :) You feel like somebody I've known because I've gotten to know you through the book and this blog. Because you're so genuine and don't try to hide anything, we really know the real Shari! That's so cool. Thank you for opening yourself up to us and helping us see that you don't have to start with it all together--that's what the book and this understanding is about! We all can GET there even though we don't START there!

I'm looking forward to FYI Friday. It will be very beneficial, I'm sure. Could you perhaps do a blurb on makeup application (what gives different looks like providing youth, lifting eyes and cheekbones, making it all appear natural, etc? You know, on one of those days you just don't know WHAT to post? (ha-ha-ha -- like that ever happens!)

Thanks so much for all you're doing to help us out. And, if you have input about my shawl hunt, please let me know.
Brenda B.

~Brenda said...

Shari,
I am looking forward to FYI Friday’s!

I will be keeping you and your planning/brainstorming ladies in my prayers tomorrow.

Thanks for keeping it real with sharing your true self; we as busy women can relate and appreciate that we aren’t the only ones who neglect ourselves when sick. You are a special lady and I’m so glad I found your blog! Thanks for thinking of us as family and sharing our comments!

I totally agree with you about what is on the inside is reflected on the outside. When I see peace and joy on people’s faces I can tell they have Christ in their hearts.

Karen said...

Shari,

I really appreciate your blog and am excited that you are adding FYI Fridays!

I have a question about colors. I am a Warm, so I know that Chocolate Brown is my neutral. Is it possible to wear green tops (from the warm palette) with dark brown pants? (I am afraid of looking like a tree... lol!)
If green and brown work together, which type of green works best? If they don't work, what other pant colors (for a winter wardrobe) can I wear with green - other than jeans?

Thanks SO much for taking the time to answer all of our questions!!

Stephanie Kay said...

There's such a huge correlation between the outside and the inside!! Over the holidays my insides started feeling ragged and the result was a 5 pound weight gain and a terrible haircut. But that's all changing! I'm getting my insides right and I know my outsides will start to match.

Can't wait for FYI Friday!! Speaking of FYI Fridays and bad haircuts... what are your tips to get a really great cut and style? Also, how much should I tip the girl who washes and cuts and styles my hair?

Caren said...

So glad you are feeling better!
I can't wait for FYI Friday. You are such a blessing to all of us. I'm so excited- my book and swatches should be here this week- I can't wait to get started.
Thanks for all your encouragement.

Stephanie said...

Shari - Glad you are feeling better- and I so agree about the correlation between the two. When I don't have my time with God every morning, I feel icky and in a funk. I have more bad hair days, I feel bad in my clothes more often, etc. It's because my spirit isn't in the right place. Yuck.

I have a color question, too. I can't seem to tell if I am a Clear or a Soft. I have medium brown hair, Classic Ivory skin and blue eyes that sometimes look grey, sometimes greener, sometimes super bright blue and sometimes just plain ol blue. My hair has really no natural highlights that I know of, but I have been coloring it for years (about 21 years...since Jr. high). I look really good in bright pink but I also look good in apple green. I think I look good in black and in brown. How to really tell?

Michelle Angelique said...

Shari,
I am glad you are back among the living, I have had friends and family sick with that virus and it really wiped them out.

I'm so sorry that you wont be with P31 anymore but I am sure you are following the leading of the Lord and He will bless whatever work He has you to do.

Yeah, for FYI Fridays! That will be great! I have a couple of questions, first, is a dark honey or ash blonde still considered a blonde or a light brown? If not, what is the difference? Second, I found a beautiful plum purple, crushed velvet tiered skirt, Chadwicks brand at my local thrift store. I was thinking of pairing it with my brown dress boots, a semi dressy denim jacket (from JCP) and a blouse I found with the same plum color and brown (kind of a big muted floral print). I know the skirt is kind of dressy by being the rich crushed velvet, is it ok to mix the different fabrics like this? I usually don't have trouble making up outfits with my thrift store finds, but this one felt like it needed a fashionesta stamp of approval. :) Thank you so much for all of your words of encouragement and fashion advice!

Kim said...

Shari,

I'm so excited about the future!! For your ministry AND for the Friday Q & A! My questions deal with color. I have my color swatches, but I wonder how "close" the matches need to be. I'm a clear and when I am shopping, it seems to find the match. Also, I'm thinking about knitting an orange sweater for next fall - thinking ahead, but the colors I like aren't on my list.

It would be awesome if we could have some mini - bootcamps. I'm just thinking from a financial stand point, it might be easier on the budget. I would love to attend one of your events! Hopefully, you will be coming to Michigan!

Deb said...

Shari,
I am glad you are feeling better. I just purchased your book and I have started to read it. I am enjoying it so far.

My really exciting news is that today I won tickets to see you at the "Discover Beautiful You" conference in Adrian, Michigan. I am so excited. I can hardly wait.

I will be praying for you and your friends as you come together to discuss your plans for 2011.

The Calm of His Presence said...

Shari,

You are very right about the correlation between the two. I had a wake up call tonight about it.

I will be praying for you as you plan your ministry for the next year. I am SO glad I had a chance to meet you at She Speaks in July. Your ministry is a blessing to so many. I am really excited about FYI Friday!

Just to let you know... my husband hears your name quite frequently :)...

Daphne said...

So glad that you're feeling better, Shari!! I am battling the crud now, too. Might be strep, but haven't been in to be tested yet.

I am so excited about FYI Friday! Thank you, and BLESS you, for the time you give to those of us fashion challenged gals :-) I am a DEEP and found a couple great deals after Christmas. My hubby was with me a few days ago and told me that he WANTED me to buy a few things that I found on clearance and to NOT feel guilty about it! WONDERFUL guy!

I will be covering you and your friends in prayer tomorrow as you search for the Lord's leading. May each of you know His peace and love and speak the words He gives you. Blessings to all of you in this New Year!

Carol said...

Shari,
Glad you are feeling better - and I agree on the relationship between inside and ourside looks and feelings. It ALL goes together.
Best of luck with your new adventure, and prayers for you of course.

Looking forward to FYI Fridays. And I'd like to know more about what kind of socks or hosiery to wear with what. And what should socks match? I live in Indiana and this time of year going without socks isn't an option for my toes! My workplace is business casual, so I'm usually in twill pants and a loafer-type shoe, so my socks show.

Racquel Simone said...

I love this post. Priorities are in order for you...your inside. That's great Shari! I know what whatever you put your hands to will prosper and that God will bless your endeavors as you continue to acknowledge him. Have a great day!

Ruth said...

Hi Shari,
Looking forward to FYI Friday! Thanks for your encouragement to the whole person in the right place. I've sent a note to your P31 e-mail with some other feedback so I hope you are still getting mail there. Have a great planning day.
Ruth

NikkiMc said...

Hi Shari! I am enjoying your blog and think that FYI Friday is a GREAT idea! Are you planning to come South this year? Hope that you had a fruitful day with lots of ideas that will bless you and those of us that you minister to this year!